Today I turn 49. OMG. The sound of that number brings about thoughts of old. But I know I am still young in my heart. Last Year, I created this list on my birthday. I thought I would take the time to see where I stand. I still have quite a few things to accomplish. Don’t worry. I will get to it! Happy Birthday, to me!
Originally compiled on 10.20.2012. Updates in italics.
As of today, I am just two years away from 50 (that makes me 48 for those of you trying to do the math). As mentioned a time or two, things have not been going according to plan these last few months. The plan being lounging on a beach, retired and enjoying martinis. But I am not going to let that stop me. Instead, I am making a list of 50 things to do before I am 50. While I haven’t officially confirmed this as a step to Happy For No Reason, how can it not be?
My quest starts today. So here we go …..
- Take the boys to Italy to meet the family and see where my grandparents grew up.
- Compile a photo essay – subject to be determined.
- Spend some time on a beach in Mexico (instead of just talking about it). –Done. Rosarito, Mexico. Heck, we almost moved there.
- Take a family road trip. –Done. Our trip to Mexico was a road trip. We also went to San Diego and have been on several in Thailand – even though we aren’t the ones driving.
- Spend time volunteering with my boys. It is important to teach them young.
- Design and sew myself a dress.
- Have a dinner with ingredients from my garden only. –Did this last fall not long after this post. We had a potato soup, kale, tomato, basil and onion salad with mojitos made from our mint.
- Set up a movie theater in my back yard. –Note: I don’t have a backyard anymore. May have to revise.
- Play in the WSOP main event.
- Keep my kitchen clean for one week. (It would be helpful if I could send the boys away.) –Done. It is easy to keep clean when you have very few plates and utensils.
- Put flower pots on my front porch. –No front porch.
- Have a weekend where I do nothing but take pictures. –That should be coming up. I start a photography course on the 28th. I am so excited!
- Speak at an event on a topic relating to small business and social media. –Working on it.
- Go mushroom hunting.
- Go boating. –Do Thai long tail boats count?
- Take a photography class. –Mentioned above.
- Fly a kite.
- Have 24 family game nights. (That is just 1 a month – they should be OK with that, don’t you think?) — We are doing pretty good on this one. Bananagrams is our favorite right now.
- Make creme brulee from my Italian Uncle’s recipe. He is an award winning chef after all.
- Scrapbook my trip to Italy from 4 years ago.
- Go to a social media conference.
- Make flavored vodkas
- Rent a beach house. –Done. One month in Phuket, not bad. One week on the beach at Koh Tao, while not a house, technically would fit the bill.
- Eat at one of the 50 Best Restaurants (http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners)
- Help out a Random Stranger.
- Watch all the Best Movie Nominees BEFORE the Oscars.
- Stay in a yurt.
- Visit the Redwoods.
- Get passionate and focus my energy on one cause.
- Take ballroom dancing lessons with Way.
- Go off the grid for one week. No technology. (yikes)
- Take a vacation by train. — Done. Penang, Malaysia.
- Take the kids to a Broadway Show. (Preferably on Broadway but traveling shows are acceptable)
- Make a binder of my favorite recipes. –Does a Pinterest Board Count
- Leave a large tip for superior service. –I have done this several times. It is empowering.
- Go east on Route 66. I have only ever gone west.
- Do some geocaching.
- Take a cooking class. –Looking into one for the boys and I here.
- Host a wine tasting party.
- Start practicing yoga consistently. –Just started.
- Document stories from my time as Pan Am flight attendant. (I have many)
- Watch 20 classic movies. Not sure yet what defines classic.
- Write letters to the boys to open on their 21st Birthday.
- Make dumplings.
- Get an advanced degree in Social Media Marketing.
- Go to a culinary festival.
- Have visible ab muscles. –Ha. Not even close.
- Spend a whole day at a spa.
- Be debt-free. Mortgage debt is acceptable.
- Be Happy For No Reason. — Made some great progress until April. Getting it back and then some.
So there it is my list. Admittedly, it is a little ambitious but …..